Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day

The orgions of Mother's Day began with the baking of cakes to say thank you to a group of mothers, hence I always like to bake a cake for Mothers Day. This year I tried out the caramel layer cake from Donna Hay Modern Classics 2.

Excellent recipe... very excellent cake:)

We shared this cake with my Mum and Luke's mum this morning, relaxing on a beautiful day in our backyard, while Miss M slept and Miss D ran around the yard finding rocks to give as presents:)

This morning began with a rendition of "Happy Birthday To You!" From Delilah. Luke had told her to come and say happy Mother's Day to me, and that was her interpretation I guess! I decided to forgo my Present for my photo shoot the previous week and a delightful 2nd Anniversary/Mother's Day dinner at Windy Point with the "Cronies" last night, so I was suprised to find a small gift waiting for me amongst Miss M's nappies when I went to change her, a Copy of "Flashdance"... yep aparently my girls have already cottoned on to my love of dance movies;)

Next came with the affore mentioned morning tea with the Mums. Then Lilah and Mackenzie had a nap and Luke and I managed a small rest ourselves. When both the girls were up we got out the pram and set off for a walk to Jetty Rd, Brighton, along the Esplanade on a mission for hot chips to take to the park. It was a beautiful walk, the day was just so mild for May and the water was so calm, there were so many families about... even some brave (read: crazy) people were swimming! Delilah and I had a great time running around the park, taking it in turns to catch one another while Luke and Miss M chilled on the grass.

We have just finished of the day with a hot bowl of Tomato and Basil soup, my own soon-not-to-be-so-secret-recipe:

  • 2Kg Tomatoes diced
  • 2L Vegetable stock
  • 4 Red onions diced
  • 1 cup Red lentils
  • Basil
  • 2Tbs Butter
  • 2Tsp minced garlic

Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add onions and garlic, cook till transparent. Add lentils and tomato and cook for a minute. Add stock and basil to taste. Bring to boil and then simmer until the tomato is tender. Blend until smooth. Serve with fresh basil leaves and cream to taste. Makes heaps!

Very tasty if I do say so myself and Delilah LOVED it!

It has been a really nice day, though I can't believe that it is already my third Mother's Day!

1 comment:

  1. sounds very yummy! the caramel layer cake looks awesome...I tried out the banana + caramel one yesterday and it is very very noice :) talk to you during the week xx

    ReplyDelete