Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sleep

We don't get alot of sleep in the Verri household. Since Miss D was six months old she has been what I describe as "the worst sleeper in the world". Some nights we are awake for hours upon hours, some nights just every hour on the hour and then nights like last night we have a good one and we only have to get up to her twice.

We have tried all the tricks to no avail and we have a strict routine because if we deviate even slightly we are up all night and it takes a week to recover. Mostly we just accept this, particularly as she has been plagued with ear infections during this time and also she is so tall (100cm at 2.3 years) that we know all those rapid growth spurts can't be comfortable, however it made me sad when I realised that we miss out on fun with her at times because we are so wound up about the thought of no sleep.

I am the kind of person who would gladly sleep 12 hours straight every night so the lack of sleep has been a huge adjustment. For the most part I just deal with it because the Joy of every other moment totally out weighs no sleep, but sometimes it all comes crashing down, and today is one of those days.

I'm writing this as little Miss D is curled up next to me asleep (!) on the couch. She is so very peaceful at the moment... I wonder what goes on in that little mind to make it all go so very wrong? All I know is I will keep on dealing with it, because she is Delilah and I wouldn't have her any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment